Medical Technologist at Shea Medical Center Per Diem Nights
- Requisition ID
- 03 - Nights
- LAB Core
- Shea Medical Center
- Position Type
- PRN (On-call)
- Physical Work Location and New Employee Orientation Location : Address
- 9003 E. Shea Blvd
- Work Hours
- Variable as needed on all shifts Sunday - Saturday
HonorHealth is a non-profit, local healthcare organization known for community service and outstanding medical quality. HonorHealth encompasses five acute care hospitals with approximately 11,500 employees and 4,500 volunteers, over 70 primary and specialty care practices, clinical research, medical education, an inpatient rehabilitation hospital, an Accountable Care Organization, two foundations, and extensive community services.
HonorHealth is a leader in medical innovation, talent and technology with a genuine commitment to your growth. The health system's vibrant careers take place in an environment filled with opportunity and respect because we see the HONOR in you.
Blood Bank experience is highly preferred.
Bachelor's Degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical or biological science OR HEW certificate with 4 years' experience in lieu of degree. Required
The Medical Technologist is responsible to perform complex laboratory tests on blood, body fluids, cells, and tissues. Identify bacteria, parasites, and other microorganisms, analyze chemical content of fluids, and cross match blood for transfusion and aseptically prepare blood products. The results of these tests are used in diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.
- Prepares and performs a variety of laboratory tests in one or more sections of the laboratory to obtain laboratory results and data used for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.
•Ensures that all testing is performed accurately and resulted as ordered within turn-around-time expectations. Completes all required documentation, and follows up on all unusual and critical results as required by policy and procedure.
•Obtains/receives and prepares specimens for analysis. Understands specimen factors that can affect the accuracy of laboratory testing and insures the integrity of the specimen through the testing process.
- Understands the theory behind laboratory methods and operates various pieces of laboratory instrumentation used to obtain test results. Performs instrument maintenance, calibrations, quality control, and test procedures, troubleshooting and refers questionable or unusual cases to the technical supervisor, lab supervisor, director or pathologist.
- Ensures compliance with all hospital, regulatory, safety, and accrediting agency requirements.
- Maintains continuing education and competency requirements as defined by laboratory policy and certification agency requirements.
- Proficient in hospital, laboratory and office computer systems.
- As needed:
•Assist, train and orient new staff and students in their respective lab disciplines.
•Assumes temporary leadership role in absence of supervisor.
•Assist in regulatory preparation.
•Maintains supply and reagent levels, and practices cost containment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
It is the policy of HonorHealth to provide equal opportunity in employment. Selection and employment of applicants will be made on the basis of their qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity Poster.HonorHealth wants all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities. If you are an applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us at EmploymentOffice@HonorHealth.com . Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed. This option is reserved only for individuals with disabilities that are unable to use the online tools and is not intended for other purposes.