Vice President Pharmacy Services
- Requisition ID
- 01 - Days
- Hospital Admin
- Support Services
- Position Type
- Regular Full-Time
- Physical Work Location and New Employee Orientation Location : Address
- 8125 N HAYDEN RD
- Work Hours (ex:M-F, 8am - 4pm)
- 8AM to 5pm
HonorHealth is a non-profit, local healthcare organization known for community service and outstanding medical quality. HonorHealth encompasses five acute care hospitals with approximately 11,500 employees and 4,500 volunteers, over 70 primary and specialty care practices, clinical research, medical education, an inpatient rehabilitation hospital, an Accountable Care Organization, two foundations, and extensive community services.
HonorHealth is a leader in medical innovation, talent and technology with a genuine commitment to your growth. The health system's vibrant careers take place in an environment filled with opportunity and respect because we see the HONOR in you.
An advanced management degree (e.g., Master of Business Administration, Master of Health Administration), or an administrative specialty residency Required
Completion of a pharmacy residency program accredited by ASHP
5 years of hospital operational management Required
Licenses and Certifications
Pharmacy\RPH - Registered Pharmacist
Licensed Pharmacist in state of Arizona Required
This position is responsible for developing and executing on inpatient and outpatient pharmacy services which are congruent with the mission, vision, values and strategic goals of HonorHealth. They will be focused on the development of an overall strategic plan that is designed to effectively manage and continuously improve the network medication management system. This will be accomplished through the following tactics; Develop a structure to effectively communicate, collaborate, and engage a team of peers and physicians in the overall plan; ensure that measurement of the medication management system aligns with metrics focused on quality, safety, cost and utilization; execute on a quality improvement plan that ensure the best outcomes through performance-improvement activities; leads drug utilization efforts; optimizes the use of information systems and technology; manages the pharmaceutical supply chain, the pharmacy department's financial operations and workforce plan; ensures compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements; fulfill the organization's research and educational missions; and provides institutional representation and leadership in executive level functions.
Reporting structure includes Clinical operations in the acute and ambulatory setting including oncology and other clinical programs supported by pharmacists, Retail pharmacy oversight, 340B oversight, and collaborative supply chain oversight.
This position reports directly to the CEO, Hospitals and will work closely with all aspects of the medication system involving the acute, ambulatory, medical group and Innovation Care Partners (ICP). Will have a matrixed responsibility for some aspects with Supply Chain leadership and ICP executives and leaders.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage pharmacy expertise to improve quality, safety, the patient’s experience, patient access to quality healthcare across the continuum of care, and the economic performance of the organization. It is also the pharmacy executive’s responsibility to continually assess healthcare-related trends and discoveries to ensure that the value of pharmacy and pharmacists is advocated for and advanced in overall efforts to improve patient care.
- Manages the health-system pharmacy’s financial performance within the context of the broader health system. Develops budgets aligned with organizational and departmental objectives and monitors financial performance appropriately, performing financial audits and analyses as needed to ensure accurate, appropriate, and timely recording and classification of actual revenue capture and expenses. Evaluates medication expenditure patterns and reimbursement trends, including the potential development of value-based approaches to pharmaceutical reimbursement in all healthcare settings. Provides oversight to retail pharmacy, ambulatory infusion, and works collaboratively with finance on 340B programs throughout the system. Ensures that the pharmacy department has the expertise to manage the clinical and financial implications of specialty pharmaceutical products. May also be called on to provide guidance in areas outside of the traditional pharmacy arena, including management of drug expenditures in the self-insured employee population and in payer shared-risk arrangements that include medication management incentives.
Provides Executive oversight over the following programs/initiatives.
Pharmaceutical purchasing strategy (i.e., vendor relationships, dedicated resources, managing shortages, contracting methodology, GPO relationship)
Pharmacy reimbursement and revenue practices, including charge description master (CDM) (i.e., additions/deletions of medication, standardized formulas)
Optimization of the 340B Program, Ambulatory Pharmacy, Specialty Pharmacy, and Retail Pharmacy strategy.
- Optimizes Medication Management and Advancing Pharmacy Practice. Ensures that pharmacy is responsible for developing and ensuring compliance with evidence-based prescribing criteria that support effective, timely, safe, and fiscally responsible treatment. With the expanded role of the pharmacist in drug therapy management, is responsible for the professional development of the pharmacy team in order to support this advanced role.
- Drug Utilization Management. Collaborates with physicians and peers to develop drug utilization and formulary initiatives that optimize therapeutic outcomes, reduce the risk of drug-related problems, and ensure the use of cost-effective pharmacotherapy throughout the health system. Serves on the Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) committee at HH, and is an active voting participant. Will also ensure proper pharmacy expertise participates in key initiatives set forth by this committee.
- Advancing the Application of Information Technology in the Medication Management System. Provides leadership at the organizational level regarding planning, purchasing, implementing, and maintaining information systems that support patient care. Is responsible for the adoption of a long-term perspective and commits to achieving the patient-safety innovations made feasible by electronic health records (EHRs) and other innovations aligned within HH. Deploys executive oversight over strategy for all Pharmacy technologies and physical space management strategy (with cost/efficiency, safety and research implications).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
It is the policy of HonorHealth to provide equal opportunity in employment. Selection and employment of applicants will be made on the basis of their qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity Poster.HonorHealth wants all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities. If you are an applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us at EmploymentOffice@HonorHealth.com . Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed. This option is reserved only for individuals with disabilities that are unable to use the online tools and is not intended for other purposes.